There are various terminals available in most Linux distributions. This outlines some of the 'nicer' ones that have features you may be looking for to replace your Desktop terminal
- urxvt - nice terminal emulator that supports scripting (Perl), unicode, tabs, transparency and clickable URLs.
- mrxvt - offers tabs and transparency.
- ROXTerm - terminal emulator intended to provide similar features to gnome-terminal, based on the same VTE library, but with a smaller footprint and quicker start-up time.
- sakura - based on VTE, light and fast; unicode, tabs (but can be used like non-tabbed terminal), fake-transparency.
- Lilyterm - a light and easy to use libvte based X Terminal Emulator.
- aterm - an rxvt derivative with fast pseudo-transparency and text "fading".
- TermIt - lightweight terminal emulator with embedded Lua
- Terminator - similar to ROXTerm but with advanced features not yet found elsewhere; logging, drag&drop, find, horiz+vert scrolling...
- evilvte - very small and fast tab-supporting terminal application based on the VTE terminal library.